It has been an event filled month for us here! I just got back from the hospital yesterday and I've been getting a lot of questions. So, I wanted to record this so that I could remember all of the details, and to answer questions.
I found out I was pregnant around Quincey's birthday. Around the same time that we moved into our new house, I started having EXTREME morning sickness. I was nauseous 24 hours a day and throwing up around 6-10 times a day. I also was aware that my belly was growing abnormally fast. We were suspecting twins. We were worried though because I was having some spotting.
On friday morning (Feb. 19th). I woke up in a pool of blood. I called my practitioner and she suggested I go in to the office to get my blood drawn to make sure that my hormone levels were decreasing. That night I was still throwing up and feeling nauseous and I started passing huge blood clots. I called my midwife on Saturday morning because I was still throwing up. She got my blood test back and said my hcg hormone was abnormally high and so I had to go and get my blood tested again on Saturday. They were suspecting either that I had been pregnant with twins and lost one of them or a molar pregnancy.
On Sunday morning she called and said that my test came back and my hormone levels had gone up 75 % in just one day so they were pretty sure it was a molar pregnancy. So, I packed my bag and went into the ER. I got an ultrasound which confirmed that there was no fetal tissue and that it was a complete molar pregnancy. If you aren't sure what that is you can read about it here. But basically, there was a defect with the fertilized egg and it produces the placental tissue which forms a tumor full of grape like clusters inside the uterus.
The treatment is a D&C, but my doctor said that I was high risk for complications in the surgery for 2 reasons one because my hormone levels were so high (a normal pregnancy would have been around 100,000 or 200,000 and my levels were 1,570,000) and two because my uterus was so large (it was the size of a 4 month pregnancy). She was afraid that they wouldn't be able to stop the bleeding and they weren't as equipped to handle that at the hospital here. So, I got to go on a 40 minute airplane ride and was transferred to a hospital that is a 3 hour drive away. Geren drove and met me there. My surgery was on Monday. It went well. She removed a liter of blood and material. They didn't give me a transfusion but I am really low on blood, so I am taking 9 iron pills a day to try and build my blood supply back up, which takes about 3 months.
Geren got the pathology results back today and it is cancer-free.... so that is good. I'm told that the most important part of this disease is the follow up because it can come back and it can spread. If it does come back I will have to get Chemotherapy. So, I have to get my blood tested monthly for the next year to make sure the pregnancy hormone stays at 0. Which is also why I can't get pregnant for at least a year.
So that should be about it!!! We are sad about everything that has happened but so thankful that the surgery went well and that things seem to be on the way up. I am excited to not feel nauseous anymore. I still feel pretty weak from all of the blood loss and I've been having really bad headaches. I missed my kids and was really excited to see them again. They were excited to see us again too. I also feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family who have stepped in and helped us. I am thankful for all of the prayers. I know that the Lord is mindful of our family and have felt His presence throughout this whole experience.
37 comments:
oh my! Our prayers are with you. Let me know if u need anything.
Megan!! So glad your surgery went well and they were able to figure it all out! That is quite the fast roller-coaster. I'm really sorry you have to wait a year before you can be pregnant again, but I'm glad you are healthy now.
Gosh, that's sooo scary! Glad that you are doing much better now!
Wow, what an experience! What a relief that the surgery went well and that it didn't spread. You are in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
Oh thank heavens you are ok. This is the first I heard about any of this. I will remember you in my prayers. This is great news you made it through. I am sorry you had to go through that. Its a good thing you are tough.
Megan, thanks for sharing that experience with us. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I hope everything goes smoothly from here. :) love u!!
Oh my goodness, you HAVE had quite a month! I'm so sorry about everything--I'm sure that was very difficult to go through. I hope you continue feeling better, and we'll keep you in our prayers!
I'm really glad the surgery went well and you are at home recovering now. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Megan! Wow, what an absolutely scary and stressful month. We are so glad that surgery went well, you are able to be back with family and that the nausea has come under control. And taking nine iron pills a day for the next three months??? Wow, that's pretty intense. We hope you get back to feeling like yourself in no time.
i am SO sorry. my friend here went through that last year as well. she is now pregnant and things are fine. i feel for you and am so glad everything is ok. my prayers are with you!!!
I'm glad you don't feel the nausea any more. That is a huge relief. Enjoy lots of chocolate (my solution to everything) and the best part is you don't have to worry about it coming back up again! On a more serious note, our prayers are with you.
Oh My Goodness! I'm so glad you are ok. Get well soon.
I am so sorry to hear about your last month. I hope you recover well. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!
I am so glad to hear everything went okay! I've been thinking about you all week, please let me know if you need anything! Hope you start feeling stronger very soon :)
holy cow megan!! hope you are feeling better, so sorry you had to go through all that!! get well and i'm glad the surgery went well!!
-megan horrocks wright
I'm so happy you are ok!! It's amazing how the Lord takes care of us in ways we didn't know were there. You are in our prayers!
Wow Megan. I'm so sorry. Glad everything went well. I didn't know there was something like that. That's scary. Glad you're ok. Have fun with those kids while you're waiting. They sure are cute.
We miss you guys.
Wow! I am so sorry to hear this!
You guys will be in our prayers.
I found some great Iron that I take that is just wonderful...it is liquid and doesn't constipate you. I get it at the health food store. but, I'm sure you already have something good.
I'm glad that you are feeling better! Many thoughts and prayers from us!
I am so sorry that you have to wait a whole year! That definitely sucks. I am so glad that you are back on the track to being healthy though!
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Scary!! I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, but sorry that you had to go through that.
Wow, how traumatic! I'm so glad everything seems to be wrapping up ok.
I have no idea why my comment posted 100 times... sorry :)
That's so scary, Megan!!! Thank heavens things seem to have worked out ok. That's too bad about the 1 year wait, but at least you're safe.
Megan, I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much! I'm so glad that the surgery went well for you. I hope your recovery is going well!
Megan-
I'm so glad that you are feeling better. But I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with all this. I will continue to keep you in my prayers, so that it's smooth sailing from this point on!
Miss ya, and love ya!
Meg, I've been praying for you guys. I'm so glad you're ok right now, and I hope it stays that way. You're so strong! When you called me I was so amazed by your optimism and perspective. Thanks for always being such an inspiration to me. Love you!
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened. I hope everything is calming down for you and you are feeling better. That's scary. I'm so glad that everything went well. You are amazing. I wish I could help out somehow.
I am the worst friend ever, I can't believe I haven't checked your blog in so long and just now found out about this! I am praying for you and your beautiful family! hugs hugs!
Post a Comment