This was taken awhile ago, but this is the picture of the fish tank with 2 little fishies that we have been taking care of for a friend. The kids have fun feeding them and watching them swim. I've never really had a pet. As a kid, we had a dog, a super huge basset hound.... Lenny, but he stayed outside in a cage and I never really did anything with him (except smell him.... yuck.) So, having fish has actually been quite the step for me! I am really scared to get a dog ... or a cat for that matter. I need something that isn't aggressive, and definitely small! and doesn't shed. I would rather have a dog, for Q's sake... he needs something to run with. I am not talking about soon, just some time. And I am hoping I can get over my fear of them licking me, and their little claws crawling all over me. I am hoping it is like when you have a baby, how it's different when it's your own. I am more worried about this decision than I am about having babies! ha! I know I sound like a wierdo. :) But we all have our issues to overcome!
Monday, October 19, 2009
Pets
This was taken awhile ago, but this is the picture of the fish tank with 2 little fishies that we have been taking care of for a friend. The kids have fun feeding them and watching them swim. I've never really had a pet. As a kid, we had a dog, a super huge basset hound.... Lenny, but he stayed outside in a cage and I never really did anything with him (except smell him.... yuck.) So, having fish has actually been quite the step for me! I am really scared to get a dog ... or a cat for that matter. I need something that isn't aggressive, and definitely small! and doesn't shed. I would rather have a dog, for Q's sake... he needs something to run with. I am not talking about soon, just some time. And I am hoping I can get over my fear of them licking me, and their little claws crawling all over me. I am hoping it is like when you have a baby, how it's different when it's your own. I am more worried about this decision than I am about having babies! ha! I know I sound like a wierdo. :) But we all have our issues to overcome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
nah,.. deciding to get a pet is a big decision. Especially because in many ways they're like kids that don't grow up. I really love my dogs, as much as I love their soft fur I could do without the shedding. I've never owned a short haired dog though so I don't really know the differences in hair shedding. I would recommend something like a beagle. I think their fur is fairly short and they're supposed to be really good with kids. They take a lot of training. If they're going to be an indoor dog you've got to train them what is theirs and what things are yours and what they get to play with or touch and what they don't get to play with or touch. You also have to go through their chewing phase,..giving them lots of bones helps so they know what they can chew on. Potty training is something I never want to go through again,...I recommend crate training for that but I don't think we ever really did it right. There will be lots of accidents in the beginning but they will eventually get the point if you stick with it. As for other training...I recommend you watch a lot of episodes of the dog whisperer before you decide to get one. Knowing what dogs are capable of doing and how to train yourself to handle their bad behaviors properly will go a long way to making you happier with your dog. I've come a long way from where I was initially. I wouldn't say I'm a dog lover perhaps,..but I'm a lot happier now that my dogs are fairly well trained than I was in the beginning and it's taken a lot of work. Training is not for the faint of heart either. It takes a lot of time and patience. It is true though that when they're your own dogs and you've invested so much time in training them that you come to care for them like you wouldn't other people's dogs. I hate that I have dogs some days,.. but I get joy from having some of them when they're especially cute and I can't imagine which one I'd get rid of,... they better just hurry up and get old and die off I guess so I don't go crazy from them. lol. Not trying to discourage,...but pet owning is not easy i think. It can be rewarding but if you only half like pets it's a lot harder to get to where you like it.
I do like your fishies. And hey, is that a Dinosaur in the tank also? I didn't know you could buy a mini dinosaur...Can I have one?
i should have just emailed you. sorry for the long response.
I know it's big! Thanks for the advice. To start off with, I am pretty sure I am not going to get a puppy. I would like to get one that is already potty trained and such. We actually had someone offer a trained adult chiweenie to us, which is why I have been thinking about it, and I think it would really be the best way to go for us, and I was about to say yes, but then I got around some other dogs, and i realized... ugh! :) I really want my kiddos to have a dog though... so, we will see.
ha! and yes, Amy... mini dinosaurs are the best!
Even if you get an already potty trained non-puppy,..I still recommend watching the dog whisperer for a while before deciding. :) I agree with that choice I think you'll be happier. But getting an idea how to interact with your dog before you get it will go a long way to helping you have confidence and satisfaction in dog ownership.
pets are so fun! steve and i just got a cat and he's quite fun and cuddly. he loves people. cats are easy to train in the basics, but they don't do as much as dogs. we like dogs too and hope to get one someday, like when we have a house. dogs need more attention to be happy and not misbehave. i understand how it's a big decision. i stressed about it for months before we decided. and then after we got ours i freaked out for a few days. but now we are quite happy. pets need love, but they also give a lot of love back. good luck deciding what to do!
oh, and i'd recommend doing a lot of research before you do commit, just so you know really what you are getting into and what it takes to have a well-behaved and happy pet.
I agree about the Dog Whisperer. FABOULOUS!
Get a golden retriever. SOOOO great with kids!
Ugh, dogs. I grew up with dogs and always loved them, but ever since having kids they just irritate me. Children are already messy, but then add a dog that has dirty feet, sheds fur and poops in the yard.... Not so much fun. The girls love them, but I really don't. I hate having to clean up the poop, but if I don't the alternative is having the girls step in it, or even worse, eat it! Yeah, that's happened. Mr. N loves dogs, so I imagine one day we'll get one of our own. I want to wait until we're done having children (i.e. the youngest is like 5) and have it be an outside dog. Wow, what a positive comment I just wrote!
I know what you mean. Completely. I want pets, but I'd rather have them in the country or something, where they just run around and stuff. I think you should get a fish or frog or... maybe a turtle. Something that stays in a tank. At least until Q is old enough to actually participate in taking care of him. And that's my two cents.
Post a Comment